Respect in a relationship is reflected in how you treat each other on a daily basis. In a healthy relationship, partners are equals, which means that neither partner has authority over the other. They are like friends. Each partner is free to live their own life, which can include deciding to share some aspects of their life with their partner. Respect also means that, while we may not always agree with our partner, we choose to trust them and put faith in their judgment. This trust can be built over time as your relationship progresses and you learn more about each other.
In a healthy relationship, respect is shown in the following way:
- Talking openly and honestly with each other
- Listening to each other
- Valuing each other’s feelings and needs
- Speaking kindly to and about each other
- Giving each other space
- Supporting each other’s interests, hobbies, careers, etc.
- Building each other up
- Honoring each other’s boundaries, no matter what
- Give your partner time and space to do what they enjoy doing
- Do things that make them feel loved and cared